How much food should I feed my pet?
Choose a high-quality food and look at the recommendations on the label. Our Client Services Staff will
be glad to assist you with purchasing the proper food for your pet.
Remember, these feeding recommendations are simply guidelines, not absolutes. There is often a
wide range listed and there is little consistency in feeding guidelines between brands. You must
consider the following, and adjust the food amount accordingly:
- The actual calorie content of the food.
- Your pet’s weight (and projected target weight if necessary). Ask our veterinarian if you’re not sure about an ideal weight for your pet
- Your pet’s activity level
- Other environmental variables (temperature)
- Any additional calories from treats or table foods
- Remember, most pets are overfed and under-exercised – so, if in doubt about how much to feed initially, feed a little less
- After you have started feeding your pet an appropriate amount of food, weigh your pet at least once a month to determine if you (and your pet) are on the right track. If necessary, increase or decrease the amount of food slightly until the pet stays at his ideal weight.
- You can easily weigh your small dog or cat on your bathroom scale – simply weigh yourself while you hold your pet, then weigh yourself without your pet and subtract the difference. Larger dogs can be weighed at our veterinary office. Remember, most pets are overfed and under-exercised – so, if in doubt about how much to feed initially, feed a little less.